Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-19-2009, 07:07 PM
SNOW WHITE

treasure baskets

have just been searching online and couldnt believe the prices people charge for treasure baskets so wonder if i could make my own up does anyone have any ideas of what to put in????

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi,

There is lots of information available for treasure baskets - depending on your own views, how you feel about them and working practice they can be put together using age & development as a guide, theme or as a general collection.

We have a 2 suggestions onsite - Ribbon treasure basket, which concentrates more on what a ribbons & strings sewing basket may contain - the textures, colours, lengths/widths, keywords - how to help stop them fraying !! and other uses, and a Christmas Treasure basket article.

Traditional treasure baskets contain things from around the home, environment and are great fun to collect for - Wooden spoons, clean washing up brushes, wooden bricks, seagrass mats, wicker, flannels, bath scrunchy, cups, small tubes/bottles part filled with lentils, rice, with - where appropriate, the lid glued in place, these are great for gentle noise makers, loofah and other things that can be mouthed and sucked safely. Empty tissue boxes are fun, hide and seek /now you see it now you don't games ..

Hth let us know what you find
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

carriesmad is on a distinguished road

I did a training course which included treasure baskets, here's some of the things they suggested
Natural Objects - Fir cones, Large Pebbles, Wooden nail brush, Pumice stone, shoe brush, loofah, natural sponge, ball of wool.
Wooden Objects - Napkin ring, pegs, cubes, curtain ring, egg cup, spoon, beads on a string.
Metal Objects - Egg whisk, bunch of bells, metal beaker, lemon squeezer, tea strainer, closed tins containing rice/beans etc, garlic squeezer.
Leather,textile, rubber or fur Objects - Puppy bone, Leather purse, Small cloth bags with scented herbs in them, rubber tubing, tennis ball, golf ball, bean bag
Greaseproof paper, tinfoil, small cardboard boxes.

Obviously all items need to be new, not just taken from your kitchen or bathroom! and with small children you need to closely supervise them as some objects are a choking hazard. I made my own up and did it for a fraction of the cost.
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road
Default treasure basket

I make my own using lots of things from the above lists and the most popular items in my baskets are the jar lids, the little ones just seem to really love them for some reason!
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Shell73 is on a distinguished road

Hi snow white

There is a book you can buy approx 7.99 which is called the little book of treasure baskets, it gives you different types of baskets for a broad range including over 5s

Hope that helps

Shelley