Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD

Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People's Services and NVQ Level 4 Children's Care, Learning and Development. COPY and PASTE - search for plagiarism to make sure your work remains individual.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 10-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Little Miss Giggles is on a distinguished road
Help SOS 425 (ko1 and k12)

Hello fellow level 4 people.......i've been sat here for what feels like days doing my level 4 and would like to venture out to some daylight however i want to finish these 2 bits but no idea where to start PLEASE HELP!!! Can you point me in the right direction thank you

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

chickencurry is on a distinguished road

Hi, This unit took me ages!
for k01 I wrote:

425K01
The difference between leadership and management is that leadership is setting a new direction or vision for the group which they follow.
Management controls and directs people in a group according to principles or values that have already been established.

For k12 you will have to tell me what the KE is as I don't have my standards here at the moment as my folder is being marked!
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:00 PM

o my god i can see light at the end of the tunnel......for k12 i have to 'list and explain different roles within the early years sectors and explain their leadership styles....i feel like i have banging my head against a wall for ages - ouch
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:08 PM

k12

There are four different styles of leadership:
1. Autocratic (or authoritarian) management.
These types of managers like to make all of the important decisions and closely supervise and control workers. The manager does not trust workers and simply give orders without communicating.
This style of management has limitations (as highlighted by motivational theorists such as Mayo) but can be effective in certain situations such as in time of crisis or when controlling large numbers of low skilled workers.

2. Democratic management.
These types of managers will put trust in employees and encourage them to make decisions. They will delegate to them the authority to do so (empowerment) and listen to their advice. This requires good two – way communication and often involves democratic discussion groups.

Managers must be willing to encourage leadership skills in subordinates.
This system occurs when decisions are based upon the majority view of most workers. This is not really possible though in the business world and one criticism of this style is that decisions take longer to make.
This style of management has close links with Maslow’s higher order skills.

3. Laissez – faire leadership.
In this style of management the leader’s role is peripheral and staff manage their own areas of the business. The leader evades the duties of management and uncoordinated delegation occurs. The communication in this style is equal by all parties but the amount of communication is less then in other styles of leadership.
This style brings out the best in highly professional and creative groups of employees but in many cases it is not deliberate and just a result of poor management. This can lead to a lack of staff focus and sense of direction, which in turn can lead to a poor company image.

4. Paternalistic style.
This style of management is dictatorial, but the decisions tend to be in the best interests of the employees rather than the business.
The leader explains most decisions to the group and ensures that their social and leisure needs are met, This can help to balance out the lack of worker motivation caused by an autocratic management style. Feedback is generally downward, but feedback to the management will occur in order for the employees to be kept happy. This style can be highly advantageous and can allow you to gain loyalty from the employees.
This style can mean that employees become highly dependent on the leader until the wrong decision is made and then the employees will become dissatisfied with the leader.
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:20 PM

o my god thank you SOOOOO much. Have you finished your level 4 then?
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:35 PM

You're welcome!
I hope I've finished! I've handed my folder in to my assessor and am just waiting to see if its all ok! Sure it will be though! x
Unread 10-24-2009, 02:01 PM

thanks again....fingers crossed for you. how long did it take you?
Unread 10-24-2009, 02:56 PM

No problem, let me know if you need anymore help.
I started in Jan and finished end of Sept.