Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

vicky.flanagan is on a distinguished road
Default I feel like quitting becasue I don't think I will get it completed.

I started this course back in sep and have to finish by end of June. Thing is aswell I was confidentaily moving along and then my tutor said I was going to fast and that I have to slow down and go at the pace of everyone else in the class as she has had a complaint of someone regarding this.

Now my tutor as told me she wants me to do write ups for quite a few of the p.cs as she said she has been out to me twice and dont need to come again. even though there are still a few pc.s for her to see.

Then she says she can not sign one unit of because she never saw me give feed back to the teacher regarding the observation I did. I asked the tutor to see if she wanted to see me do it as she was ready to go and she said no thats fine. But now she is telling me this. So I sat in tears last night thinking all this is not going to come to anything.

Also she said I am doing to many reflective accounts is there a limit on how many you can do If I can do a reflective account on what I have done in school as the teachers have given me loads of responsibility in class and I can write about it and it will cover some p.cs and k numbers then I will do it better they see I can do it rather than just write about it etc. But now I am being told I am in the wrong for doing that.

I try and talk to my tutor and she doesn't really give me any feed back what so ever and then. I email her for help and text her and she never replys to me yet she has others I feel like she has it in for me and dont want me to pass.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

I can't help with what is expected of your course, as I'm not doing it; but I can see you've hit a low point - everyone has one sometime or other.

Sometimes (and it's hard to see it yourself) it can be good to slow down a little, have a little break (even if it's only a day or two) where you think of everything else other than your course.

The other point I will make is that the tutor,assessor doesn't have it in for you and although in an ideal world you'd want your tutor/assessor at the other end of a telephone or email, they too have extremely busy lives with demands on them, that sometimes they feel is overwhelming.

A member of my staff spoke to me saying that she felt her assessor was ignoring her emails/telephone texts. I advised her to speak to her assessor and tell her how she felt (nicely), as if they were to have a good relationship they needed to work together. It turned out that someone had left at the assessor's centre and she was handed over all outstanding courses (with no please or thankyou). She was struggling herself but trying to be professional and keep on top of things. I (and colleagues) helped my member of staff all we could supporting, helping, encouragement etc and it helped her see how everyone has bad days/periods etc, but when it's your turn, it can appear the whole world is on your shoulders - so to speak.

Speak to your manager, colleagues, a friend and the assessor/tutor, they really do want to help you, and remember it will be all worth it when you have your qualification. Everyone has a blip now and again - it's only human.
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

debbiek is on a distinguished road

hi vicky,

i too have felt that i cant go on with the nvq but i have carried on and as of yesturday i completed it. if you are not happy with your assessor firstly talk to her about it and if your still not happy could you not ask for a different one perhaps write all of the points that you have said above in an e-mail and send it too her. dont give up tho i think everyone hits a low

if i can be of anymore help or if you want to talk send me a message but mostley believe in your self you will get it done xx
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Thank you both I just need to know I'm doing a few bits right. See I lack in self confidence and haven't really been a student as I had children at a young age. And I'm just feeling a. bit down because she won't sign one unit of so if she don't then to get the qualification she needs to sign all off. Placement wise is going fab the teacher also comented on how well I am doing. My tutor us also my assessor so feel like I need to do things her way to get along with her. But at the min I just feelike everything is piling up especially with the pc to write about as well. Debbie mailed u not sure if u got it
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

twiggy321 is on a distinguished road

hi there sorry to hear of your probs, i had the same situation at christmas time , after going smoothly told that one unit couldnt be passed off due to work probs, i said this was out of my hands, and as other assessors say they have to do an initial assessment with you which was ok
i was determined not to give up and thankfully after christmas hit my assessor with a load of my work and its back on track

keep up the good work, and take praise where its due, sounds like you are doing ok in the placement so believe in yourself and your get there

take care
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Thank you twiggy,
I am really loving my placement and get on really well with the kids etc and I am having roles like a proper teaching assisstant so thats good.

Did you get your unit signed of in the end?