Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 10-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

vicky.flanagan is on a distinguished road
Default As anyone completed unit 202 K2S15 that can offer any advice please.

K2S15 Setting’s safety, safeguarding and protection and emergency procedures, what these are and
why they must be followed, including controls on substances harmful to health and other key
aspects of health and safety. On the logging in book it says the above that we must show we have understanding and knowledge of the above.

Our Tutor said we must write up a little report on why we must follow the h&s policy, But after reading that on the log book I am thinking that I may have to go into a little bit more detail. Like int he safeguarding, emergency procedures ( fire) etc.

Am I going a long the right lines or do I just have to do it for the h& safety policy. I dont want to hand work in and find out I have to add a lot to it etc.

Are tutor set this work right at the end and I had to dash of as had to take my son to his hospital appiotment so I didn't think to ask her if we have to include the other bits.

Thank you Vicky

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-06-2010, 10:26 AM
chelsey-lou

Regarding COSHH (control of substances hazardous to health) it basically means keeping any cleaning products out of reach of children, and that when using them you follow the manufactures guidelines to ensure safety of you as well as others. There maybe a policy in place within your setting that you can read up on.

safeguarding: staff should be CRB checked to work with children and staff who are not shouldnt be left alone with children- regardless of thier age, this also includes students as well- even if they are CRB checked they are not qualified.

it maybe a good idea to get hold of your settings policies to have to read thru them and then try to answer the question. also if it helps I will find my folder out as im sure ive done this question, has been a while since last done it. x
Unread 10-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

vicky.flanagan is on a distinguished road

[Quote helps I will find my folder out as im sure ive done this question, has been a while since last done it. x[/quote]

Thank you so much, I will hopefully get the schools h&s policy tomorrow so will go through it then. I have wrote some out witht he information I was given from school on my induction day and what I have wrote is 2 and a bit pages long. Now I am thinking that may be totally wrong as the tutor said we would only need about 1/2 page to page to answer this q. But when she told us to answer it she never told us to put anything down about safeguarding, emergency proceducers etc.

[Quote helps I will find my folder out as im sure ive done this question, has been a while since last done it. x[/quote] ,,,, That would be great if you could find the work you did then I will have a idea on if im going down the right tracks.

Vicky x
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:47 PM
chelsey-lou

Hi Vicky thats not a problem, will be some time to tomorrow once I've got it down from the attic :) but i will be sure to help x
Unread 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

jessica is on a distinguished road
General question

Hey, I am doing this now and am abit stuck, I have done the bit about my settings safeguarding and protection and emergency procedures. But I haven't done:
  • controls on substances harmful to health- do I have to write about the COSHH policy in my setting?
  • other key aspects of health and safety- what do I write for this ?

Any help would be much appreciated x
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica View Post
Hey, I am doing this now and am abit stuck, I have done the bit about my settings safeguarding and protection and emergency procedures. But I haven't done:
  • controls on substances harmful to health- do I have to write about the COSHH policy in my setting?
  • other key aspects of health and safety- what do I write for this ?

Any help would be much appreciated x

Yes Jessica,

Look at Chelsey-Lou's answer above. Your assessor will always want you to know what your policies are and the procedures you follow and if possible always include an example so they can see how you are implementing it and that you also understand your role.
COSHH - your setting may have a separate policy or it may be in a health and hygiene, health and safety policy. It is up to your setting how they do their policies and procedures as we are all individuals with different circumstances - that's why one 'hat' does not fit all.

In your Health and Safety policy your setting could (for we know) be up a flight of steps with external metal stairs as a fire exit - therefore your procedure of evacuating the children from the building will be differen from a setting all on one level with fire doors straight out into the play area.

Your health and safety could cover toys and equipment - maintenance, height, table edges, doors and hinges (potential little fingers trapped) materials of toys/equipment what are they are made from etc, fire drills, hygiene - preparing food, waste disposal - nappies? food? do you prepare meat and vegetables? if so do you use different coloured boards? wear gloves when preparing? wash hands? use paper towels or cloth towels? How frequently do you clean the toilets, wash basins? risk assessments - in and out of the building for glass, wet area etc.
What is your setting's policy if anyone vomits during the session?
How is it dealt with? Do you make arrangements for the sick child/adult to go home?

etc etc This could go on - link it into your policies and practice.
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM

jessica is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this Heidi it has really helped