Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 04-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
News Item Storing cookies on your computer - EU deadline

The one years grace for the EU's e-privacy directive ends on the 30th April 2012

This means that from that date, all websites located within the EU, that enable cookies to be placed/stored on a visitor's laptop/computer/device are required to gain each individual visitor's consent prior to the cookie placement happening.

What are cookies?

Whilst I implement a solution right across the site I hope this notice goes a little way to explaining how cookies are used on silkysteps .. other than dunkin :). As a means of consent gaining PLEASE, only click the links below if you agree to a cookie being stored on your computer/laptop/device.

Here on the forum all new forum registrations are required to agree/disagree to cookie storage as a condition of using the forum. I'm working on a way to gain anonymous visitor's consent that doesn't involve forcing their membership/registration or requiring everyone to be logged into the forum in order to read.

From paypal - a cookie is used to remember a customer's basket contents within the store and to link the website through the donations page. Wherever a page on silkysteps displays a paypal, view cart/add to basket button, a cookie from paypal will of been stored on that customer's laptop/computer/device in order to enable that function to occur. Specific cookie use can be read on the paypal link. The data within the cookie file is not accessible to anyone other than paypal and the owner of the computer/laptop/device.

From amazon- as an affiliate, the commission this generates provides a much needed line of revenue. Each time a link is clicked on silkysteps that opens an amazon website page a cookie will be stored in order to track a sale and allocate a commission. Specific cookie use can be read on the amazon link above. The data within the cookie file is not accessible to anyone other than amazon and the owner of the computer/laptop/device.

From Handykam - again as an affiliate, sales made by clicking through a link on silkysteps that take you to handykam.com will cause a cookie to be stored on your device that tracks a sale and enables the allocation of commission. Handykam utilises the software services of IDevAffiliate.

Website analytics: Silkysteps uses the hosted software services of SmarterStats to monitor site performance. This does not involve cookie storage. It does still involve data collection - each time a file is requested ie. a silkysteps.com website page opens, an image is viewed, a link to download a document is clicked that file request is logged, server side, for potential analysis & evaluation. A visitor's internet browser information is also logged to enable knowledge of visitor numbers along with a visitor's browser version and its country of origin. None of this information personally identifies an individual and is not used for any other reason than to improve on site content, find out favoured and less visited areas, adapt the site design and navigation which all aims to support the continual improvement of a visitor's complete wesbite experience.

Links for more information

Your online choices - set the company preferences that enable targetted advertising
About cookies.org

For anyone with a greater interest these links may proove useful:
From the ICO - and the framework
Categorising cookies from International Chamber of commerce.co.uk - pg7 on are most helpful
Tackling the e-Privacy conundrom

Please add on with any questions regarding cookies and silkysteps and I'll try to answer xx

For another cookie activity - vegan biscuit recipe
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 04-20-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added picture :)

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

the only cookies I want on my lappy are the one's I have with my coffee!!!!

........................ well, you just knew someone would come up with that old joke didn't you :) :) :) :)
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

might need to change the thread title, I've a feeling it wouldn't be good to have real cookies stored on your computer, keyboard & crumbs aren't so keen on the whole working in partnership idea, good to have you post xx
the cost of ad blockers