Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 03-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Cljones is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Types of observation for 303

Hi all,

I'm trying to do observations on children but really struggling on what different types there are . I've heard of narative but thats about it and I can't seem to find anything! I don't have the course book but am trying to get some of these obs done before my assessor comes on thursday.

Any help gratefully received!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-30-2009, 08:34 PM

nickelly is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

There are a few different types of observation methods that you can use:-

*free descriptive/narrative- where you write a small piece about what you witness using the childs actual langauge i.e 'it mine'

*time sample- where you use free desciptive writing to outline where the child goes to play over a short period of time i.e take an hour out of the day and write down what the child does at what time and for how long.

*tick chart- where you plan an observation make the relevant chart to see if 6(or however many you want) children can use their fine motor or gross motor skills, if they can do the task tick it agsinst their name if they can't don't put a cross against their name as this is negative just leave it blank.

These are the main ones that i can think of and that i have used in my unit 303. Hope it helps you.
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

carriesmad is on a distinguished road

You've also got -
Event samples - behaviour can be observed over a session, a week or longer. used to record how often a certain aspect or behaviour or development takes place. each time the behaviour occurs you note the date, time and circumstances. useful for things like tracking a child who is physically agressive.
Unread 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM

amycrofts is on a distinguished road

hi i'm new to this but i'm trying to find information about observations, different types and strengths/weaknesses. What is flow chart/movement observation?
Target child observation?
thanks any help is appreciated
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:28 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

there are about 30 books all about observation and there is quite a bit about it in the text book. you really need to do some studying in the methodology. eso amy theres so much info in your question.
any of these really
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?...ildren&x=0&y=0

will give you want you need. it is a huge subject and vitally important.
Unread 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM

amycrofts is on a distinguished road

thanks, im a childminder trying to do the coarse from home, im finding some parts more difficult like the observations as i didnt know there was so many types, iv only done one type as a childminder and knowone told me there was more untill i started this coarse. thanks for the advice though il look into it
Unread 01-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

millsy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycrofts View Post
hi i'm new to this but i'm trying to find information about observations, different types and strengths/weaknesses. What is flow chart/movement observation?
Target child observation?
thanks any help is appreciated
Hi, i am a childminder and have just completed my level 3. I bought a great book on amazon- A Practical Guide to Child Observation and Assessment 3rd edition- Christine Hobart & Jill Frankel. This had everything i needed to know and it came in handy more than once when completing my level 3. It is well worth buying a couple of good books to see you through. Hope this helps, Good Luck:reading: