Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 11-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chloe is on a distinguished road
Default Were are you?

Janice,Suki,Lesley,Nicole 2 and anyone else from the old days!Hope your all well,would love to hear what your all doing?
Also Jill from preschool at Ascot who picked me up!!and anyone else!!
Now on msn!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-23-2007, 10:18 PM
cybertwin

am here, also on msn

dont think you are on mine though! littleapplesofbramley@hotmail.com

also found face book!!!! loving that
Unread 11-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Suki

Hiya, still around and still on the same msn addy that we had before!

Have finally had a couple of job offers, working as a temp in the local council and am hoping to start on a long term contract with another company in a couple of weeks time!
Unread 11-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

janice is on a distinguished road

Hi Chloe and all

I am still very much around - just seem to be going from one problem to another right now.

Pre-school is hard work - staff, children and parents are lovely but feel I've run out of steam. There is so much work to do and training courses to go on re the EYFS and just about everything else it feels impossible to keep up with it. The other option is to walk away from it which I may well do when another job comes up and I have started applying for other things - definitely not in this field.

And the next problem is this ......... recently moved to our new place - everything in the bungalow is fabulous but the guy whose garden backs on to the side of ours has 4 bee hives. I suffer from anaphylactic shock and the Environmental Health are unable to do anything as it's not something that affects the general public apparently. It's a nightmare. I've just emailed the local councillor. I just don't know what to do - even removing every plant we have in the garden would not solve the problem as they still would fly in/out/around and about.

Thank goodness it's not our immediate neighbours that we live next door to - wouldn't want to cause any upsets.We moved partly (ok mainly) because of our last neighbour - wouldn't have wanted history to repeat itself.

I just don't know what to do next - it's a desperately worrying situation.

Glad things are going well for you Suki and sorry to read about your Toddler group Chloe. I check this site all the time to keep up to date, but daren't post as my posts would be just too depressing for you all right now

Janice x
Unread 11-24-2007, 04:38 PM

cabin is on a distinguished road

I know this may not be very reasuring to an allergy sufferer - but in defence of the bee-keeper....
We to live nextdoor -but-one to a bee keeper (stangely enough in a bungalow too!) and we have never had any issue with the bees in over 15years - in fact we never really see them in our garden much at all... until we had a nest in the house!- although not connected to bee keeper - different sort... anyway even with the nest literally 2 foot from patio no one ever got stung - in fact we were totally fasinated by how they would fly in/out the nest up to 100+ per minute literally right past our faces(we watched frequently) they were not even interested in our food. As we have no allergy sufferers we left them for the summer, amazed at how we could all share the same space... we have got rid of the nest now though.... How long have you been in your new place? my best friend has allergies to bee's but has never had a problem in our garden - although she did stay away when I told her about the nest!!!!!!!!!!! xxxxxx
Unread 11-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

janice is on a distinguished road

Hi Cabin

Thanks for your reply.

We've been here 3 months today.

When we went round this place (well the garden) we did notice how many bees there were but thought it was because the garden is very big, very overgrown, and with just about every flower and shrub known to man.

So because it is so overgrown we thought that was the problem and thought it would be partially solved once we had cleared it all out. It was only when we moved in and were talking to the neighbours that they told us about the on-going issue with the bees as our next door neighbours had been stung several times and had got the Environmental Health involved.

Have had a reply back from the Councillor who is also a solicitor and he feels that there is a balancing act between the beekeepers right and ours. What he feels is significant is the tremendous life threatening risk which would suggest that there should be a strong tilt towards our rights being protected and he'd be happy to look into it further.

I really hate making a fuss and a nuisance of myself but I really don't feel I could do anything else.

Saying that I did a lot of gardening today because it was so cold (e.g. no wasps or bees) and also because it is so overgrown - I really love gardening (inWinter!) but it's quite overwhelming . Anyway, I peeped over the fence to see the hives and there were no bees whatsoever.

Naively, when we saw the garden we were quite taken with the fact that it has grape vines. I always knew they would be a bit dodgy, but I read on the internet yesterday that when bees find a grape vine, they 'scent' it, then go back to the hive and dance around telling the other bees what they have found!!!!!!!
Unfortunately the grape vines are going to have to go - at the moment they are just bare so don't present a major concern.

Anyway - better get back to watch the x factor results - I think Rhydian is fantastic - I hope he releases that song he sang tonight.

Bye for now
Unread 11-24-2007, 10:52 PM

cabin is on a distinguished road

I'm beginning to think you've moved in down my road!!!!!!!! stangely enough a lot of my neighbours have grape vines - Is that the reason we have no bees in our garden I wonder??
Thinking back when we moved in our garden was very overgrown with brambles- in fact we still have them in the field behind (we tend to 'thread' back over the back fence for extra security)- I feel this is also could be were our bees go. Hope you get it sorted ok - I'll be honest i freaked a bit when we found the nest ~ however I became fasinated with their behaviour - but for me a sting would just be a pain and not life threatening.
xxxx