Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 03-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jo_B is on a distinguished road
Stressed!!!

Hello...

I am beginning to find this whole childminding business a nightmare, I have been registered since before xmas but have had little or no interest from prospective families. I’m supposed to have a baby starting next Wednesday but I’m a lil doubtful that its going to happen as I have heard nothing from the family, I have left a message to arrange another settling in visit but have received no reply
I've also handed in my notice at my part time job so I may end up minus an income!!!
The ‘cis’ rings me constantly asking "can they pass my details on" but then no one calls, are they passing over details or what??? I know that competition is fierce especially in Darlington as there are many minders in the area.
What else can I do to get started, like most people I need to earn a living so don’t know how much more time I can waste waiting???

Joanne

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Do you know what details the cis are passing over ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-15-2007, 03:26 PM
vik3000

Hi

I know what you mean, the children I have have been word of mouth recommendation....

The CIS rings me to and says they are passing my info and then you hear nothing.

Have you tried putting posters up in the local playgroups/schools, some childrens centers and nurseries let you that to, put little ads in local newsagents, one in the back of your car, keep a little stash (of ads or business cards) in your purse and ask in the supermarkets for them to put one in the staff room - applies to a lot of big companies. Try advertising outside of your area as well. Volunteering for a day or so at local playgroups gets you known too. Tell everyone that you are childminding.

It is slow to get going I know that, I'm trying to hold out for a full timer so it makes it all financially viable.

Good luck
Unread 03-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I've been minding 13 years and have never know it so quiet! It used to be that I would get calls all the time... but then they just stopped and I had to apply for the sustainability grant in the summer. Then, all of a sudden, I got 2 little ones and have had to turn away school age cos I can't pick them up!!!

Jo, have you got a website? Not the Usborne one but a personal one? Cos you can give the name to CIS and they'll put the link in for you - that way parents can access you direct from the CIS website without being given a ream of names and phone numbers - sure some give up half way down!

Also, if you ring (or ask CIS to ring you) weekly, you'll automatically pop to the top of their internet vacancy list

Check what's on your CIS listing and update it - make it sound better than everybody elses - CIS are there to help you, so use them! Read the others and work on the wording and phrasing of yours so it stands out

I got a child from the CIS list and the mother said mine was the best listing to read and she followed the link to my website and was impressed by the simple way I had laid out the information on the website (she didn't want whizzy stuff, just easy-to-read uptodate details)

Good luck!

Sarah x
Unread 03-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jo_B is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys

I havent got a web site yet but i own the name;
www.joannes-childminding.co.uk, so hopefully i will have it up and running soon, im so naff with technology the company are going to ring me to help me set it up, so i will use your advise and add it to the cis, im off now to read the others entries on the cis and improve my own...

Jo
Unread 03-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_B View Post
Thanks guys

I havent got a web site yet but i own the name;
www.joannes-childminding.co.uk, so hopefully i will have it up and running soon, im so naff with technology the company are going to ring me to help me set it up, so i will use your advise and add it to the cis, im off now to read the others entries on the cis and improve my own...

Jo
I have heard that Mr Site are cheap and easy to use for creating a website.