Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

wind1 is on a distinguished road
Default Planning ideas

In my setting we are looking at the way we do our planning. At the moment our individual planning is as follows: on a planning sheet we list the next step from each of the areas of development that we would like the child to achieve. We set up an activity based on current interest as a starting point, look at their level of interest, then plan for the next day going by what they have enjoyed, ie: current interest, cars. Set up toy cars and car mat. They show no interest but spend all day in the sandpit role-playing cooking. So following their interest the next day we offer playdough for role-play cooking. This means often what we had originally intended as activities for the week (or days they attend) changes as their interest is focused on something completely different. So, because we have based their next steps on their interest of cars, the planning sheet kind of becomes obsolete from that moment on for the rest of the week. I would be very interested to hear from others how they do their planning and examples of paperwork involved as I cannot seem to think of an easier or more effective way of doing it.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

Individual planning does not always have to be written in advance - it is much more responsive to children's rapidly changing needs if some of it is written after the event.

While some planning will be advance - outings, continuous provision, any themes you want to plan for the group etc - much of your individual planning will follow directly from the child's interests, learning styles etc on the day and from comments given to you by parents etc.

My planning for the child's week has 2 sections - things the child has done and things I have planned for the child eg.

The child has - used musical instruments to make a band with friends; been involved in den building; read number books; been to the farm with parents at the weekend and spent much of the day role playing zoo animals etc etc ...

Things planned - the child has joined in with group activities focussed on National Smile Month. As part of this the child has...

Observations then note what the child has learned etc
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:46 PM

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind1 View Post
In my setting we are looking at the way we do our planning. At the moment our individual planning is as follows: on a planning sheet we list the next step from each of the areas of development that we would like the child to achieve. We set up an activity based on current interest as a starting point, look at their level of interest, then plan for the next day going by what they have enjoyed, ie: current interest, cars. Set up toy cars and car mat. They show no interest but spend all day in the sandpit role-playing cooking. So following their interest the next day we offer playdough for role-play cooking. This means often what we had originally intended as activities for the week (or days they attend) changes as their interest is focused on something completely different. So, because we have based their next steps on their interest of cars, the planning sheet kind of becomes obsolete from that moment on for the rest of the week. I would be very interested to hear from others how they do their planning and examples of paperwork involved as I cannot seem to think of an easier or more effective way of doing it.
Hi
within our setting we are updating our planning, like you we have been told to do a daily planning sheet as before we were doing a weekly planning sheets. We are totally confused on what we have to do and no courses at present are available. Does anyone have examples of daily planners that they would be willing to share for us to get ideas. We are only open 3 hours per day, term time only so it needs to be simple and quick (not asking alot really lol).
When you complete a daily planning sheet is this just completed on the focus children or on all children in the setting. If it is all the children why do we need to have focus children (well i know that one but i am confused totally). We put the focus childrens names on the planning board and we used to them write on the weekly planning what activities we would use to gain the information that we needed obviously using the child's interests to gain thia, but apparently this is not enough. Just to top it all we are a packaway setting so we cannot leave anything out including planning sheets as these have the child's names on because it is used by the public.
Please help any ideas greatly received and i mean greatly, massively infact

Lynne
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:50 PM

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind1 View Post
Hi
within our setting we are updating our planning, like you we have been told to do a daily planning sheet as before we were doing a weekly planning sheets. We are totally confused on what we have to do and no courses at present are available. Does anyone have examples of daily planners that they would be willing to share for us to get ideas. We are only open 3 hours per day, term time only so it needs to be simple, quick and effective(not asking alot really lol).
When you complete a daily planning sheet is this just completed on the focus children or on all children in the setting. If it is all the children why do we need to have focus children (well i know that one but i am confused totally). We put the focus childrens names on the planning board and we used to them write on the weekly planning what activities we would use to gain the information that we needed obviously using the child's interests to gain this, but apparently this is not enough. Just to top it all we are a packaway setting so we cannot leave anything out including planning sheets as these have the child's names on because it is used by the public.
Please help any ideas greatly received and i mean greatly, massively infact

Lynne