Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 12-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
News Item Free Nursery places for 2 year olds

This news article was released this morning ..

Free nursery places for 2 year olds ~ The Guardian Unlimited

What are your thoughts on this (when its officially confirmed !!) new provision ?
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-08-2007, 01:54 PM
olive_oil

I guess that for parents who have to work then its a godsend.
Unread 12-08-2007, 02:10 PM
cybertwin

am ok with it as long as we dont have to start taking year olds!!! i think that for us 2y9m is to young but that is what the parents want
in preschool setting think we are not so equipped for the younger ones

still wanting the move to 3 hrs free though then would be happy as we already do 3
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Butterflyfllutterby

This service has already been implemented into the area i work the initiative is referred to as Flying Start, the children start the term following their second birthday. At the moment it is being rolled out in areas of deprivation, where there is seen to be a large Social Services input. The children attend for 12.5 hours per week, 2.5 hours per day, there is provision available for the children to rest or sleep should they feel tired. The environment is nurturing with a large emphasis on play and having fun, the children we have attending are coping extremely well. We are just coming to the end of our first year.
Unread 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

As a Childminder, I think I will lose even more work. I wonder how sustainable my role will be - I am losing babies to longer maternity leaves (which I totally agree with, but they do hurt my business) and I am losing toddlers to longer school sessions... very hard.
Unread 12-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

brown owl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme View Post
This news article was released this morning ..

Free nursery places for 2 year olds ~ The Guardian Unlimited

What are your thoughts on this (when its officially confirmed !!) new provision ?

We take 2 year olds in our setting, and if this came into being, it would, hopefully, let more families use us. Also, the families that are on a low income would benefit as their children would be able to attend more sessions.

I think it is a good thing.

Brownn owl
Unread 12-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

buildingblocks is on a distinguished road

I agree with Sarah that as a childminder soon I will have to close as a business as I just will not be able to exist as a business. What parent will send a child to me if they can have a place for free.

The extended schools are taking away from us the care of older ones as well but what happen sto the parents who need care outside of those hours of 8 - 6 as childmidners will not be in existence for them

Sorry that doesn't read right to me but hopefully you can understand

lov eKate
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Butterflyfllutterby

Child minders are included in this provision as there is not always enough available places to to cater for the number of children, child minders are there to take up the slack, also to cater for the individual needs of a child that may not be able to cope in the larger environment. I know that there is a net work of childminders within the my community who are involved within this program
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:35 AM

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

Both my children started preschool at about 2yrs 3mths, just for two morning sessions a week. At the moment this costs me £98 a month for DD, some funding would be wonderful!
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:25 PM

Air is on a distinguished road

Our setting has taken 2 yr olds for sometime...we needed to lower the age we took children in order to remain afloat....some children cope well with this...others are really not ready....for various reasons.....I was aware that the funded age would be lowered....have mixed feelings about what message this is giving to already anxious parents....