Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 07-07-2008, 02:11 PM
brock-cruse

Default New starter forms?

Hi
Just after a bit of help. My manager wants to come up with a form that can go out with the application forms to try and get information about the child before they start at pre-school. Not sure if this should be an informal thing eg ;likes dislikes etc or more formal eg can count to ten etc.
What does everyone else have or use?
Any advice appreciated
Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-07-2008, 04:40 PM
noah

ours is the sort about likes and dislikes, any siblings with names and ages, pets, what do they like to do? Special words or phrases any cultural needs, anything they would like us to know about their child,recent move, change to family, spells in hospital etc first language, etc. we really don't expect then to tell us about counting etc and the children are so different with us than at home.. what some may feel the need to put down and what the child can actually do can be very different..
Unread 10-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

We have something similar to Noah....... it includes important family or friends to the child. Particular favourite activities they enjoy. Is English their first language ?( we have some interactive white boards which the parents can record a short message on and has room for a photo). These work particularly well for children with English as a second language.
We also ask the parents to make a small photo album for the child to bring with so that they can look at it and share with other children to talk about their family.
Unread 10-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

playassist is on a distinguished road
pretty much the same, I made an all about me form that the parent(s) complete during settling in/warm up sessions which just asks:
start date, which times, about immediate family, any other family/friends who they may talk about, immediate language and other languages spoken with/around, their meal routine, allergies, drink routine, sleep routine. Favourite toys, activities, songs, dislikes, what helps to settle when upset/tired and any additional information such as what they child can do, is beginning to do etc
Unread 10-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

kimmy is on a distinguished road

We have the same - its an all about me form that we downloaded and changed some parts after talking about what we really did need to know - things like who lives in my house - who do i play with. It is helpful and we ask parents to fill it in during their childs first morning as this means we can then discuss it with them . We do find it very helpful .