Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 10-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

mrsjwp is on a distinguished road
Default Help with observations - new to EY

Hi,

I'm new here and hoping you can help me.

I've just started a job in a pre-school after working with older children and I would like some help with observations. I am quite happy when we do our focus observation of key children each week, but it's the general note taking that I am unsure about. I'm not sure what I should be looking for exactly. Of course I am familiar with the framework but I don't know it that well just yet and I want to get it right!

Thank you

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i thought focus obs on key children went out with the ark! you re looking for significant things not the humdrum and not just to make an obs. on any child and on any area. for this if course you ned to have a vg knowledge of our science, ie child development and the stages in the eyfs. note what you see, why it is significant and what the next step will be.
Unread 10-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

Are you Preschool/Nursery or Reception?
Unread 10-16-2010, 06:04 PM

That sounds worrying if focus obs aren't done anymore, I thought a combination of obs were necessary? I have spent some time today reading the look, listen & note info which is really helpful.

Possum - I'm working in a pre-school with 3-4 year olds.
Unread 10-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

The majority of your observations will be of the different things you spot the children doing, saying, talking about, enjoying, finding, working together on etc during the normal day.

Into this you can add comments from parents and other professionals in the child's life.

Focus observations are fine if you want to find out what a child does / does not know or whether a child can / cannot do something but they are not so popular any more because they tend to be treated like mini tests and that's against the ethos of the Eyfs.

However they can feed into next steps planning if used sensitively and with a lot of care.

Hth
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnev707 View Post
The majority of your observations will be of the different things you spot the children doing, saying, talking about, enjoying, finding, working together on etc during the normal day.

Into this you can add comments from parents and other professionals in the child's life.

Focus observations are fine if you want to find out what a child does / does not know or whether a child can / cannot do something but they are not so popular any more because they tend to be treated like mini tests and that's against the ethos of the Eyfs.

However they can feed into next steps planning if used sensitively and with a lot of care.

Hth
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'mini tests'. We do lots of observations at Preschool, ranging from quick 'post-it' style obs which can be useful to note something specific, timed obs to see how children are accessing the environment and long obs which are carried out to record children's development across the 6 areas. So we may notice a child fully engaged in the home corner and sidle over to note down the language, imagination, creativity etc being used, take a photo and write it up. Or we may take a few pictures of the play from a distance, so as not to be obtrusive, and crop these on the computer, print them out and then ask the child what the action was all about, scribing their words alongside the picture. Observations often provide some good next steps, or fill some 'blanks' in their learning story.
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:59 PM

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'mini tests'. We do lots of observations at Preschool, ranging from quick 'post-it' style obs which can be useful to note something specific, timed obs to see how children are accessing the environment and long obs which are carried out to record children's development across the 6 areas. So we may notice a child fully engaged in the home corner and sidle over to note down the language, imagination, creativity etc being used, take a photo and write it up. Or we may take a few pictures of the play from a distance, so as not to be obtrusive, and crop these on the computer, print them out and then ask the child what the action was all about, scribing their words alongside the picture. Observations often provide some good next steps, or fill some 'blanks' in their learning story.
It was the word 'focus' that was used that brought connotations of 'mini tests' to the fore.
You have quite rightly stated that your setting is doing lots of varied observations including learning journeys that you mentioned.

Focused is when you look at a specific thing say you wanted (bit exagerated, but puts the point across) to see who could balance on one leg, so you decide the children will all line up in a queue and one by one see who can balance on one leg.
We don't do that these days, but in the past progress tets were very often done like this. I remember when I was young having a reading test every three months reading down a list - when you got stuck on a word, that was your reading level/age, even if you could read the line below, it didn't matter, you were deemed to be where you had stopped at. That's what we don't do these days.

As you have already stated we use so many different methods these days and observe children without disturbing their play and learning.
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:43 PM

It's been interesting reading your thoughts about 'focused' obs. I agree that a true picture is painted when children are undisturbed in their play, and this learning shouldn't be 'forced'. I do feel slightly uncomfortable when we have to work with our key children each week on a given area to note where they are at, I would much rather watch to see how a child accesses/demonstrates this naturally. Am I thinking right here? I appreciate you sharing your experience!
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjwp View Post
It's been interesting reading your thoughts about 'focused' obs. I agree that a true picture is painted when children are undisturbed in their play, and this learning shouldn't be 'forced'. I do feel slightly uncomfortable when we have to work with our key children each week on a given area to note where they are at, I would much rather watch to see how a child accesses/demonstrates this naturally. Am I thinking right here? I appreciate you sharing your experience!
I think there is a lot of 'fear' where observations are concerned and there needn't be. Looking from your manager's perspective I can understand where she is coming from as well. I am a manager and therefore like your manager - accountable. I can't tell you what is wrong or what is right, it up to your manager to devise her own methods - one she feels is right. If you have any ideas suggest it. We all like less paperwork and your manager should embrace your ideas if she is a progressive manager.

I've been in this sector many years and have my own methods. I don't like staff wandering around with clipboards etc, i like them to play and observe. I am quite happy for us to share (constantly) verbally about a child's next steps. I am also aware that we must record this - in many ways - photographs, written, recorded, parental/home etc because verbal is instant and cannot be passed on except to practioners/professionals/parents who are there at the time. Records need to be kept for all to see the progression/sharing/transition etc

It does seem odd that you have to observe and record a child at a particular activity? What if that child does not visit that particular activity?
Does she expect you to 'make' them visit it?
Why can't you just do a short written observation of whatever that child is doing and where they have chosen to go? That will give you a very good idea of what that child likes and what stage they are at linked to the EYFS.

Can you not research (well this is part of it isn't it?) observation and try something you find works well for you? Are you allowed to use a camera freely? Would you like to include the child in the observation by putting this into a learning journey - good for both the child and yourself to go through the photographs and not so 'false' or 'rushed' - or you may do this already.

I have many methods/forms etc in my setting and staff can choose which style they like ( as long as they don't just stick to one). It keeps it fresh. I also encourage my staff to observe and record any child - this allows others to see from a different perspective/angle and allows us all to know all our children individually and share anything we have seen. Sometimes a practitioner may see something that is worth noting or writing down or photographing and I don't want anyone thinking "She/he's not mine, I won't bother". It makes working as a team easier and nicer and ensures everyone is keeping up with our observational work.

I am sure your manager will agree that observing a child at their chosen activity will help you see where a child is at and for you to plan for their next steps - with their likes and interests. It will also show up areas or activities that they are not visiting.
If you feel they are not progressing or have poor skills in an area of development, you will then need to find out why -
do they dislike the activity?
can they not access the activity?
Has the activity been set at too high a level or are you not extending the activity?
Do they have a fear of the activity for a particular reason?
Once you've gone down that list, you can either provide an alternative, make it accessible/extend it, adapt or encourage or support them to visit or try something new to them.

I'm not sure how long you have been in the sector, but you could always ask your manager if you could attend a course on observations. The course will look at lots of methods and you may be given the opportunity of looking at other setting's. When you have a staff or planning meeting express your concern/or ask about your observation methods; but make sure you have done your homework - no good saying you don't like something, but not contributing yourself. You could say " I've been reading a couple of books on observation and...." There are lots of second hand books on every subject on Amazon.

In the meantime, try and enjoy observing and linking it to theories etc rather than thinking of it as a chore. If you are 'open' you'll be building layer upon layer of understanding children.
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

kitty123 is on a distinguished road

very gd and interesting read thankyou