Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 01-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

vicky.flanagan is on a distinguished road
Default help needed for observations k2d39

I am just going back to college after being of for long while sick and I wasn't in college today cause I still had a bit of a temp, My friend gave me this work sheet to complete I have completed other task on the sheet aprt from this one and another q I have asked for help on. I ahve had no input from the tutor so I dont know what to do.

Task 2 says undertake a range of observations addressing all areas of development. Describe how you prepared for the observation and include samples of sharing information with children and familes.
Do I do one observation for social physical communication intellticul emotionall? Or can I do one that has all those areas covered in like a written account of what was done etc and then change the formatt in to some kind of observation tick chart? or am I completely on the wrong path?

As anyone got any advice please? As we are already got to do a physical observation seperate but apparently these have to be seperate to that one.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

vicky.flanagan is on a distinguished road

Sorry but as anyone got any ideas regarding this?
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Lucybird is on a distinguished road

I would imagine that you want to talk about different types of observations and each different area of development. Why you would use a particular type of assessment. sharing information for parents might be like your day sheets or learning journals, for children you might have display boards (like 'I can...') or you might talk to a child about what they are doing and praising their work.

You may be best off asking your friend as your tutor may have said something to her that explains the task more.
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky.flanagan View Post
I am just going back to college after being of for long while sick and I wasn't in college today cause I still had a bit of a temp, My friend gave me this work sheet to complete I have completed other task on the sheet aprt from this one and another q I have asked for help on. I ahve had no input from the tutor so I dont know what to do.

Task 2 says undertake a range of observations addressing all areas of development. Describe how you prepared for the observation and include samples of sharing information with children and familes.
Do I do one observation for social physical communication intellticul emotionall? Or can I do one that has all those areas covered in like a written account of what was done etc and then change the formatt in to some kind of observation tick chart? or am I completely on the wrong path?

As anyone got any advice please? As we are already got to do a physical observation seperate but apparently these have to be seperate to that one.
Hi Vicky,
I've just said this on the other answer I gave you, but saying it again (sorry); but you need to read up on observations, I've written in the other answer why it's important to observe, record and montior, so put that aside.

It asks for 'a range' - which means your tutor wants to see you practising observations, so you can use a tick list on something where you are unable to write it up if you are say doing the activity with a child. You may be doing an activity with scissors and you can have a tick list with left/right handed, snips, cuts, tears with hands etc.

You could take photographic evidence of a child's social play with an/other child/ren say having a tea party -then write a small descriptive with the photograph.

You may decide to write up tracking observation on a child - this means you will follow a child for a time (up to you and it's different for each child and opportunity on your part) this will enable you to see how a child goes about their learning during the session - they may flit from activity to activity or they may have good concentration skills and stay some time at an activity of their choosing.

You can do a descriptive (short up to ten mintues or up to you) - simply write what you see and hear from that child. If they are at the sand pit, remember if you write they are scooping sand and placing it into a bucket, remember to say they are using their left/right hand to scoop the sand. Young children often change hands, so it is not always easy to see which hand will become the dominant one - but it will over time and records help to pick this up.

Look at observation methods in your course book and decide what methods you want to use. A range though means a varied selection and I should imagine your tutor wants to see at least 4 or 5 - but remember I don't know your criteria. Type in the subjects, phrases and knowledge numbers into the search as I'm sure there will be plenty of other examples for you.

Of course every observation can cover many different learning areas, so on each observation, you may want to add more than one learning area to show your tutor you understand and can cross reference - she will not be expecting to see 6 learning areas covered in each observation, but she will still be expecting a range of observations even if you have covered all areas in three, she'll want two more or so, to see you understand, and can do them.

Settings/practitioners may call the same or similar observation methods differently such as descriptive/free descriptive or written - they are all the same method but a different term - individual choice of the setting, so don't get too confused if you hear or see many methods written down. At the end of the day, the objective is the same - observation of a child/ren.

There is no right way to observe - but there is a wrong way.