Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD

Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People's Services and NVQ Level 4 Children's Care, Learning and Development. COPY and PASTE - search for plagiarism to make sure your work remains individual.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

TABBYCAT is on a distinguished road
Default Unit 405 Question K4p833

Cnn anyone help me with this question please - K4P833 - Recognition of the need to sensitively support some parents who have additional needs eg basic skills or support with parenting, including sources of relevant information.

I wrote about why it is important that when settings are giving out information to parents that all the information is accessible to all parents. For example not all parents at the setting may be able to read English or a parent may be unable to read. The settings needs to think about ways which they could use to help to give out information so that it allows every parent at the setting to be able to receive it.

But i've hit the wall and can not think about what else to include in this question.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-03-2011, 12:04 AM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

what about parents with medical issues such as depression, parents who are , parents who are carers for another adult, parents who have a younger child or a child with a disability or medical condition? a parent whose family is in a war zone? what would you do?
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:18 PM

TABBYCAT is on a distinguished road

thank you that is a great help
Unread 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM

denisej4 is on a distinguished road

hi I am just working on this question too and I am struggling to think about how I may recognise a parent , who say has depression. Being a parent who has gone through this exact situation ( I had depression ,badly) and I wanted help but was too ill to ask for it.
Also would it be rude to include in my answer about the appearance of the children , meaning , unwashed , dirty clothes diescipline problems ??
Unread 04-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisej4 View Post
hi I am just working on this question too and I am struggling to think about how I may recognise a parent , who say has depression. Being a parent who has gone through this exact situation ( I had depression ,badly) and I wanted help but was too ill to ask for it.
Also would it be rude to include in my answer about the appearance of the children , meaning , unwashed , dirty clothes diescipline problems ??
I think if you write that up sensitively, it is a factor that you can sometimes see that something is not right. My setting once notice a child (whose other siblings had also attended) who had always been beautifully turned out, but suddenly 'smelt' of cooking oil, hair unkempt and was 'promptly' shoved in through the door (so we couldn't see/talk to them) we noticed it straight away, but other than that the child seemed fine. We made a note, observed and I happened (made it my business) to catch the 'other' parent on their own (with no other parents around) and spoke to them. I simply asked them how they were, that's all I had to say and they then told me what was happening. I got help for this father and his family and things resumed back as well as they could with support from us and the relevant agencies for all concerned.

Knowing your children and families well, allows you to spot when something is not right.

The other point I'd make is always offering any one privacy by way of other room, or speaking to them/or they contacting the manager at the end of a session/day or after hours - away from others.
If this is offered when they first start, they may feel more comfortable in notifying the setting of any changes. Most parents have felt able to ring to inform us knowing that we all want what's best for their child, but they'll always be someone who is trying to cope (often without support) on their own.

Noticing any difference in a child's appearance/behaviour/emotions etc is vital and relevant to your answer.
Unread 04-30-2011, 11:13 AM

denisej4 is on a distinguished road

thanks for that , thats very helpful!