Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 03-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road
Default Advertising, what do you think?

Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this. I have been trying to think of ways to promote the use of signing with babies and children and of course, my website!

I have had a press release sent out and we will be appearing in several magazines over the next few months. A friend handed out some of my business cards, one was seen by a nursery manager who is interested in my products.

Would it be seen as spamming/sending junk mail if I sent some information about my site to nurseries and preschool?

I would appreciate your opinions as nursery/preschool staff. I also found a website which listed childminding groups, again would it be acceptable to send something to these?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

I don't think there is any harm in contacting these groups with friendly informative & unbiased literature about your business.

There will always be some that will class it as Spam/junk and those that will thank you for taking the time to contact them so you can't always win !!

I'd like to hear what those on the recieving side think as well ~ I used to quite enjoy recieving product information !!
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Thanks, next question then....

Do you think a letter would be better or a flyer type leaflet with a product image?
Unread 03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
cybertwin

i would prefer a leaflet myself, and i do read the "junk mail" that we recieve, if only to give it to the children to play with!!

we get a lot of junk mail through, quite often addressed to the wrong people,
Unread 03-09-2007, 07:30 AM
knotjustjigs

Chell, i sent letters introducing myself and my business to all the local schools and playgroups (approx 8) and added that i would ring a week later (or 2) to answer any questions they may have. Some said they didnt read it but i had 2 booking for future events at a couple of schools and this has ongoing as i now do both the summer and christmas events for them!
HTH
Toniann x
Unread 03-09-2007, 08:22 AM
cybertwin

i will say that if someone rings about a leaflet i will talk to them once, but if they persist in ringing every few months this gets anooying as i will use the infomration to contact them if i meed them
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hmm have to agree with Cybertwin on this .. I do think that the leaflet/letter is an in encroachment on the recievers life, that the literature should speak for you as such .. I wouldn't have the nerve to ring up !!

Toniann you must have some courage !! lol
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:15 AM

I think its slightly different for Toniann though as she is organising stalls at events. I wouldn't have the nerve to phone either.
Unread 03-11-2007, 10:09 AM
knotjustjigs

lol ... i am very brave, the worst that could happen is they put the phone down or tell me they're not interested! i deal with far far worse than that as an employee...
Unread 03-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Twinks

If you have leaflets printed, they serve 2 purposes - an advert for a noticeboard or a flyer for letterboxing/mail shots.

Have you approached your local health centre, GP surgeries, Health visitors, maternity unit, schools etc. We have our pre-school adverts in all these places. Even if the majority of children attending them are outside the age range you deal with, word gets around and they may have younger siblings.