Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 08-07-2007, 04:29 PM
cinders

Would you?

hello everyone!!

After moving a long way from home, I find myself without a job!!! :sorry::weepy: and I'M BORED!!!! lol

So I have been thinking about what i might do with myself until either I find a new job OR I decide to use my talents in another way!!

I was thinking back to the days of Under5's and all those times I said i would write books! Either planning books or children's fiction!

I was just wondering... honestly (lol and your not commiting to anything here) How many of you would consider buying planning to use in your setting?

I would base my planning books on the new framework, and set them out in topics. Each book would have a set of planning for 6 weeks, have some activities explained in greater depth where necessary, and have ideas for displays, activities parents could do at home, and obviously would contain outdoor activities as part of the planning!

What do you think? would you buy them? is it a good idea? or has the boredom just rotted my brain? lol

I'll look forward to hearing your reactions! :rotfl::rotfl::reading:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

Cinders
I have purchased planning books/packs from
plan2play.com and Foundation Themes from Scholastic
Definately think there is a market for flexible/adaptable planning .....go for it!..need any help??!!:rotfl:..now to think of a suitable name!:idea:
Air
x
Unread 08-07-2007, 06:00 PM

cabin is on a distinguished road

Have you seen the ones on ebay?
I have bought some, but only if they're cheapish!!!
I think the trick in this day and 'electronic' age is to sell cheap but in quantity. I wouldn't buy a 'book' as such because the 'guilt' would set in ~ I should be doing it myself ~ but if it's only a couple of quid, and I can get it 'instantly' I can easily talk myself into buying them!!!

xxxx
Unread 08-07-2007, 11:46 PM
cinders

thanks air - i hadnt heard of plan2play before their site looks good!! Thanks for the comments guys! Keep them coming!!
Unread 08-08-2007, 12:07 PM
noah

Also to be available for online download, often will buy a bit online if not too costly rather than buy a book
Unread 08-09-2007, 06:13 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

bettyboo is on a distinguished road

Hi Cinders
Not sure if I know you or not?
As with all planning it is only good if it can be adapted to your own setting. I am addicted to books and buy most planning books when they come out only to find they are not as good as I thought they would be.
I would be interested in purchasing downloadable planning or a disc if I thought I could use it and it was reasonably priced.
Maybe we could see some samples so we could decide?
thanks
BB
Unread 08-09-2007, 03:21 PM
cinders

you might know me BB! take a look at the PM i sent you!! ;o)

I will give a sample when i am able to!
Unread 08-11-2007, 06:33 PM

Chloe is on a distinguished road
Default Planning.

If I still was a manager I would love it !! I would love to see a sample !!!!!!!
Unread 08-11-2007, 09:55 PM

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I've got a multicultural planning book on ebay just now... here's the planning for Australia Day in January - it's £7.99 plus £2 p&p and contains loads of background stuff about multicultural activities plus 2 fully planned multicultural themes for each month of the year linked to the EYFS framework.....

I'm selling using the name ndg1963 and it's searchable using 'Childminder'

Sarahx

January – Australia Day

This is the biggest day of celebration in the country and is observed as a public holiday in all states and territories. On Australia Day, Australians come together as a nation to celebrate what's great about Australia and being Australian. It's the day to reflect on what has been achieved and what they can be proud of in their nation and to re-commit to making Australia an even better place for the future

PSED Australia day is a time for reflection - think about what you are proud of in your life – what you do well and what you might do better. Can you think of 2 things you want to improve in your life and how you might do this

Australia is a very hot country – talk about the ‘slip, slap, slop’ campaign and sun safety. you can get some good safety information here – http://sdhw.info/information/4_safety.asp

I use this theme to update my sun protection policy, ask children to think about sun safety in the garden and to find a good picture for my outside area with sunglasses, sun cream etc. I know its January, but it gets us thinking early in the year and it’s done then!

CLL Read Blinky Bill stories from the Library – there are some Blinky Bill cd roms for the computer as well – these are great fun for the children to use and cover lots of areas of the curriculum. You can find a picture and poster of Blinky Bill here and lots more information including some song words - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinky_Bill

Learn a little about the history of Australia day - on January 26, 1788, a fleet of ships landed at what is now Sydney Harbour, Australia. These ships carried the first settlers to the country. Every year on Australia Day, Captain Arthur Phillip’s landing is reenacted in the harbour – they had already landed in Botany Bay a little earlier but not found any fresh water, so went round the corner and found the beautiful Sydney Harbour

Learn some of the words to ‘Waltzing Matilda’- you can find them here –
http://www.ausinternet.com/ettamogah/waltzing.htm

Did you know? Australia is the only place in the world that has two kinds of mammals that lay eggs! The platypus and the echidna

PSR&N Find out what time it is in Australia here –
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

KUW Australian animals which you can investigate in more detail include – platypus, koala, kangaroo, wallaby, shark and crocodile

There are lots of Australian animals to colour here –

http://ausinternet.com/ettamogah/colour.htm

Find Australia on the world map and colour a picture of the Australian flag to add to your ‘flags of the world’ book here –
www.activityvillage.co.uk/flags_of_the_world.htm
You can find out more information about Australia here – www.factmonster.com
and here – www.wikipedia.org

PD Kangaroo & koala online jigsaw here –
http://www.first-school.ws/puzzleson...a_kangaroo.htm

Making and doing activities for fine motor skills

Move like Australian animals eg hop like a kangaroo, slither like a snake

CD Make a boomerang – cut a boomerang shape out of card and decorate it with Australia inspired artwork – wallabies, kangaroos, koalas, newts, hats with corks etc

The koala is a unique animal that is beloved and recognized the world over. He is not a bear as he carries his babies in a pouch – he is a relative of the kangaroo. There is a koala paper craft activity here – http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/mkoala.html

It might be a little chilly in January in the UK to have an outdoor barbecue! However, this is how many Australians celebrate and you could prepare something similar indoors….. think about making burgers together, peeling and butterflying prawns (be aware of seafood allergies) and making a tasty rice or pasta salad

There are often fireworks at night, when the parties are in full swing – splatter paintings are very messy, but with lots of paper on the floor and cover-up aprons on the children, they are good ways to make firework displays.

Look at some pictures of Aborigine art and copy the ideas using small pieces of coloured paper to build up a collage

Find an outline map of Australia and use it as the basis for an Australia Day collage. Think about all the animals, fish and images of Australia children know – animals, cricket, rugby, birds, Uluru mountain, Sydney Opera House and bridge, hats with dangly corks, a car for ‘Sheila’s wheels’ advert (not many children who haven’t heard that one!) Find images (or draw them) and stick them on the country

There is a lovely face painting idea here – http://www.australiaday.gov.au/pages/page5.asp
and some word searches and other paper based activities for older children

Try this unusual-sounding Australian recipe for chicken and carrot burgers for snack –

You need – 500 grams of minced raw chicken
2 1/4 cups grated carrots
1 cup breadcrumbs
Black pepper to taste
1 1/4 cups natural non fat yoghurt with an added squeeze lemon juice
1 small Onion chopped
1 cup chopped Parsley

Combine chicken, parsley, carrot, onion, breadcrumbs, pepper and yoghurt in a large bowl and mix well. Form into burger shapes (or meatballs if preferred. Grill or bake in a medium oven until golden brown. Serve cold with a salad and fresh wholemeal rolls.

For colouring activities use an outline map of Australia; a koala, kangaroo or other animals; a boomerang or didgeridoo; the Sydney opera house