Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

saro87 is on a distinguished road
Default vulnerable children &young people

hi all i have an assignment which is to discuss emerging theories and principles relating to the vulnerability of children and young people. I know i need to discuss very current policies etc i just cant find a starting pointing. I want to say when meeting the needs of these groups became so important to the government? why is it suddenly such an important agenda? I also want to say that it is a cycle, there is all these policies etc but there is still so many people who it doesnt reach or it doesnt work for!! lol rant over just thought someone elses perspective might make things a bit clearer for me so i can start writing something that makes sense!!thank you

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

try the NGO websites like nspcc 'children are unbeatable, the ncb, CPAG, community cares etc. you need to research the history of cp in the uk there is loads of material. i dont think its a cycle it is a relatively new concern. i think you will find SG works for most children we dont hear about the successes only the very odd failure.
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

saro87 is on a distinguished road

hi thanks for the reply iv got lots of resources and iv done a lot of reading i think its the learning out comes thar are confusing me they are :

Critically discuss and apply significant and emerging theories and principles relating to the role of parenting, and the increased vulnerability of children and young people

Evaluate the impact of personal, environmental and social factors on parents, carers, families, children and young people

Discuss the indicators of abuse and the personal and emotional impact of abuse on children, young people, families and parents/carers

when i look at these i feel like im doing it all wrong!!
Unread 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, it might help if you isolate the knowledge and understanding within those outcomes to base your research on.

What do you feel is the role of parenting.
How vulnerable do you feel children and young people are, why.
What are the indicators of abuse - good read from Kirklees safeguarding children
What is the personal and emotional impact of abuse.
What are personal, environmental and social factors - how can they be felt by parents, carers, families, children and young people

Internalised safeguarding measures - crb, isa, cwdc's safer recruitment, welfare standards / suitable persons, named figures, are all standardised so that those who have previously caused harm are prevented from working/being in contact with children & young people. The fallibility that enables you to discuss this critically is that one child/young person will/has to be abused in some way or another in order for the perpetrator to be caught, reported and prevented from accessing the same opportunity in a registered child, young, vulnerable person's care service or provision.

The working practice of safeguarding measures are built on peoples commitment to protect children's welfare and their knowledge that abuse is a real possibility. Knowledge that safeguarding isn't something you can ever take too lightly is what puts barriers up/safeguards against those intent on abusing, or those that could act and abuse opportunistically - all a possible reason as to why safeguarding is seen to work.

Safeguarding in the wider context introduces policies and theories from life that emerge continously in response to events, thoughts & opinion.

I've just read a personal account of how a 6 week programme, delivered through a branch of the UKs CAMH really helped parents and children get along with each other and find positive solutions to daily challenges and conflict all experienced through disability and behaviour - Australian programme Signposts for building better behaviour impact being happy child happier parent

Alcohol concerns and parenting, the positional paper from Alcohol and famillies is a good read.

Maybe look at smoking - evaluate critically by understanding a person has the right to smoke, gambling, internet safety - CEOP, threat of job loss, actual job loss, housing, unemployment, low income, healthy food choices, exercise, places to get out to, how all this impacts on parenting skills and the relationship parents, carers, families, friends have with their children, you could also keep a look out for govermental actions and the impact it may have on children's safeguarding, supporting services.

Or bedtime routines and sleep deprivation.

Gov. news services are also good for information that relates, even in the smallest way to safeguarding, procedures, structures, changes, theories - Direct.gov, NHS & health news

Hope this helps a little xx
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 01-11-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added Kirklees link