Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

jessica is on a distinguished road
Default Sensory awareness

Hi, just wondering what type of EYFS areas of learning and development does sensory awareness come under? Thanks x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-25-2010, 11:36 AM

What type of EYFS areas of learning and development would 'food preparation skills' come under?

This includes washing their hands before beginning to cook, measuring and mixing skills, using small appliances, and cooking safety.
Unread 10-25-2010, 11:59 AM

I think it 'food preparation skills' would come under Knowledge and Understanding of the World (KUW) but not sure x
Unread 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica View Post
What type of EYFS areas of learning and development would 'food preparation skills' come under?

This includes washing their hands before beginning to cook, measuring and mixing skills, using small appliances, and cooking safety.
Use your EYFS Practice Guidance book, you will find it all in there. You have mentioned some of the skills that they will be using, practising and learning and they cover many areas - already you have mentioned PSE, PSRN, Physical, KUW and also the other two areas will be covered i.e. CLL - communication and talking with others usually goes hand in hand with actitivies or a child may even talk or sing to themselves in play.

I'll let you pin point the exact areas within the key areas of your activity. The more you use the practice guidance, you will find it will become easier for your continued learning and your coursework.

If you haven't got a copy of your own you can order one from teachernet publications online or by telephoning.
Unread 10-25-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks Heidi, will have a look in the EYFS book :reading: x
Unread 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I think it 'food preparation skills' would come under Knowledge and Understanding of the World (KUW) but not sure x
Jessica, Do you have a practice guidance EYFS book?

It really would help you if you can keep reading it and with time and experience you will soon feel comfortable in what you are doing. I know you are doing a level two - does your manager ever do any workshops or do you and your team (colleagues) ever get together to discuss, 'pull apart' and really delve into what is needed to become an experienced practitioner?

In the meantime, if you don't have a eyfs book - you ask do food preparation skills come under KUW - well if you are using a microwave, a cooker etc this will come under KUW, ICT.
You mentioned washing hands - you will find this under self care, you mention measuring out ingredients - you will find this under PSRN.
Are they using tools to cut up, and mix etc - this will come under physical - using equipment etc.

Whatever activity you carry out, you will find many skills are being covered, in the PSE, it may not just be self-care but also Self-confidence and self-esteem - how would you feel if you were 2,3 or 4 and you have just made cakes and they have turned out just as they imagined cakes to be like?

I feel that now - if I have time to bake!.....and remember your guidance and praise from you will make them feel so good about themselves, they'll be eager to try out other new experiences and actitivies. We all like to succeed.

I hope this helps you a little more.
Unread 10-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks Heidi, will have a look in the EYFS book :reading: x
Sorry - our messages are crossing!
I'm glad you've got one. Your'll find your activity can cover 101 things now.
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:33 PM

The EYFS book has been really helpful, i guess it's just finding the time to read it :reading: x
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Hi, just wondering what type of EYFS areas of learning and development does sensory awareness come under? Thanks x
Had a look at the EYFS book and I think it is under Creative development- being creative, responding to experiences, expressing and communicating ideas- respond to what they see, hear, smell, touch and feel. Is this right?
Unread 10-25-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Had a look at the EYFS book and I think it is under Knowledge and Understanding of the World- Place- Are curious about the enviroment. Is this right?
Jessica,

Yes, it can come under KUW, exploration and investigation, but it can also come under other learning areas i.e. Creative -exploring media and materials -
i.e. as they knead the bread dough they are making for their sensory cooking activity 'they begin to be interested in and describe the texture of things' 30/50 months (taken from the book) as they comment on how sticky the dough is, but notice when flour is added it does not stick to their hands.

As you've noticed that guidance book will help you with everything and soon you'll be an expert if you keep dipping in.