Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

cward is on a distinguished road
Tick charts

Hi to you all, my assessor keeps going on about a tick chart. Not sure what's she means. Can anyone help me out. I don't use them in my setting

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, tick charts can be for anything, from monitoring development to indicating preference for chocolate recipes

There are pros and cons for using them, also depending on what they are to be used for. Registers can be tick charts - the information or data that filling them in provides, can be used to note or track attendance and absences - this in turn can be used to identify patterns, individuals, locations and maybe reasons.

This way or format of information gathering can provide statistical data/information, the use of it can depend on each groups own ethics or ethical approach - how, who, where and what any possible consequences may be.

Tick charts or checklists can appear to collect information more quickly - the alternative possibly being for each person to write out their findings or evidence separately.
They can limit the amount of information that is entered/collected, as ordinarily you may only be able to answer/check the question or statement provided - or, they can be flexible enough to adapt to the groups own needs. They can provide reassurance on the day to day running of a group, help share evidence based information with Parents and children, identify areas of need, monitor use of toys, consumption of food, in an extended way map a stores sales and later be used to produce a 'report .. they can be paper based or virtual.

Surveys, personality profiling, shopping, jobs or duties and responsibilities, rewards, whose turn or rotas, tracking involvement, league tables, nappy changing, in play they can be used as Treasure or Scavenger hunt sheets where the item is ticked or checked off as found ..

They can be time intensive which is why it's good to evaluate the reason for their use and where any greater benefit may lie

Putting together a tick sheet would involve giving it a reason for use - finding out why you want to collect the information, and a title.
To add questions or statements that best help you to answer your reason for introducing it, and then to manage the information and to safeguard what it contains, to look at how it can be evaluated and used positively and negatively - who has access to it and why ..

Hth xx

Has your assessor asked you to provide a tick chart for any particular area?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

nicolae is on a distinguished road

hi. where do you find the information about these observations?? im struggling badly
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:41 AM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

they should be in your text book! and if you search online for observation methods child care you will get loads if information, this is very basic stuff which you should be being taught. did you not cover ob methodology on your level 2?
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

nicolae is on a distinguished road

yeah but i did my level 2 5 years ago!! lol. and i aint got a text book and i dont get any information from my tutor either. i just get told the questions really. if i emial her for help i dont get a reply so at the moment google is my best friend.
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

sarah lou is on a distinguished road

Does anyone one now what the advantages and disadvantages are when doing observations using the postit method