Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 03-19-2006, 09:04 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Jury Service

Hi and help! :sorry:

I'm starting jury service on the 27th and it doesn't look like our court date for the adoption is going to come through in time for me to get out of it! Does anyone have any hints or tips for getting through it/not being held in contempt/enjoying it? I'm quite stressed out about it, it's going to cause upheaval not only for myself (I left work to raise these kids!) but the kids, a good friend who works from home and is going to look after Jade who is in beast mode (Thank you R:puckerup: )and my husband who has had to take a week off work, so that scuppers any plans for time off together later in the year (his other holidays are dictated!)

Well, I've managed to combine a cry for help and a whinge, so that helps!

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Patsy

Just phone in and explain the situation ,they are usually most accomodating.tell them at this stage it wouldnt be in the interests of the children to upset their routines etc. lay it on that they have already been through so much and say you can get letter if required from adoption agency.Am sure they will postpone it.No doubt forget about you for a while.Good luck.
Unread 03-20-2006, 02:12 PM

Crossfingers

Thanks Patsy, but I've aready tried that!:weepy: The only way I would get out of it would be if the adoption court date comes through for the fortnight I'm due on jury service. I suppose there's still time - just!:crossfing I just feel like I've had such a battle to actually get some kids and now we're starting to settle into a routine it's all disrupted! I've cried more than a few tears over it!!!:gloomy: On the bright side, it should be all over in 3 weeks (if I don't get a BIG case! Knowing my luck..... )
Unread 03-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Patsy

Its usually just a 2 week call up.Im utterly disgusted they wont accept your genuine excuse when i know they accept other petty excuses.
Good luck,dont give uplol
Unread 03-20-2006, 08:48 PM

Thanks Patsy. It's nice to have a bit of support.

Tracey
Unread 03-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Patsy

I fell down the stairs at work and had stitches above my eye. was off sick so phoned.told them the true story and they let me off.No proof required.
Therefore I think as your case involves more lives,easily damaged etc. that you should have a strong case.Get onto you m.p. and m.d. and sosial workers.In fa
ct go to Dr and get a sick note for the damage it is doing to your nerves. lol
Sorry your just too far for me to commute to baby sit.
Unread 03-21-2006, 12:47 PM

Biggrin

LOL Patsy:rotfl: . Not at you falling down the stairs! :ouch: Oh that sounded terrible!!:blush: I have thought about going to the doc's but I'd just get deferred by the court and have to do it within a year anyway, so I'm resigned to getting it out of the way!:gloomy: A few of my friends (and family) would agree that I'm slightly stressed out about it! Insomnia has struck with a vengeance,:yawn: so I'll probably fall asleep in court and get thrown in the cells for contempt or snoring!!:rotfl:

If the babysitting offer stands, I could always post them to you?? A few holes in the box - they'd be fine! Might not help the adoption though!
Unread 03-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Patsy

Then I could adopt them.finders keepers and all that jazz.

On a serious note can sympathise with what you are going through.We had to go through fostering with view to adoption in order to try and adopt inS.Africa. We got to the point of signing adoption papers three times ,each a different family and at the last moment one of the parents refused to sign. A caes of we dont want,they can stay in childrens home but well bed-----d if anyone else will get them.Went into fostering when we returned but all the stupid rules they have now,sorry but thats not a sane way .Maybe they have changed now but to get your dog trained to only perform natural duties in a set area of the garden and no smoking near the children,and hair tied back all the time you are cooking.Where do you get time for childcare???lol
Unread 03-21-2006, 09:06 PM

I suppose we're fortunate in that our 2 are freed for adoption, so when we finally go to court there'll be no-one opposing us! I'm not sure if the rules have been tightened or slackened, all I know is our 2 were in seperate foster homes, one foster mum was wonderful, the other threatened me the first day we met!! The child from the latter home now has issues with attachment and what will happen if he does something wrong (which I'm afraid to say he finds out the answer to that one just about every day! Bless him!) We still are happy with how our little family is settling in, and it's nice to feel that we chose the right children for us.
Unread 03-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chloe is on a distinguished road
Default Family

Oh I am so so so happy for you and hope your having a wonderful time with your children.