Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 10-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

titch2631 is on a distinguished road
Default setting design

Hi all, my first post and hoped that some of you lovely ppl could share some of your knowledge with me. I have just moved to a different nursery and they have asked for my input in setting up the areas of learning and equipment, i have knowledge and expereince in a 3-4yr room and as this is a 2-3 yr old room wasnt sure wether the arrangement would be too much , Do the early years look for designated learning areas in this age group as they would a 3 -4 yr old room, only the last creche i worked at were told they creche had to have a more homely feel to it so im slightly confused! i would really appreciate your feedback , thanks xxxx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, homely may link to easing the younger children's transition and attachments from their homes to the setting. Big comfy chairs & book shelves that take climbing & reach into consideration?

A warm welcome to the site and congratulations on the new move xx

The first thing that comes to mind are resources/toys you've been familiar with in an older environment that may have an age recommendation for 3 & over. Many resources can be adapted up and down the scale for play but would need re-assessing as choking hazards. Height of equipment and availability of floor space for gross motor play, tumble & roll, sit/ride/push/pull toys and adult assistance.

Image searching online for the word creche & play room may help with design ideas.

Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Enjoy Silkysteps xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-17-2010, 01:58 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

the single most important thing to consider is childrens access to the things they choose to play with. so low storage and easy access. nothing ofsted hate more or goes against them eyfs than a setting which disables children free choice and free play. displays should be low and easily seen and altered, added to by the children and as little furniture as possible, the floor is the natural play environment for an under 4
Unread 10-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

One of the mistakes people make is to assume the needs of younger children are the same as those of pre-schoolers.

I find in the main children under the age of 3 are not ready for themed activities or any kind of structure beyond their individual routines.

I use individual planning with under 3s, looking at their interests, learning styles, schemas, things they are doing here and at home and other settings if appropriate.

I then use these observations, plus comments from the children to formulate their next steps.

During the day I plan a singing / dancing session and at least one reading session and the timing of both is flexible.

So for room layout, I focus on small boxes of toys and games which I know they enjoy, regularly changed to meet their changing interests... on shelves they can access.

Hth