Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 02-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

natashac78 is on a distinguished road
Highfive Sensory activity

hi lm new trying to figure out how to post but anyway lm nearly finished my nvq 2 but have a few things to do l need to do a sensory activity with nursery children ages 3/4 any help on what i can do please someone deperate tasha

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi and welcome, I've moved your post to the level 2 forum, this thread may help with posting threads & replies

There are lots of sensory activities you could consider, ones that provide something to touch, see, smell, hear, taste, share & learn about.

The first day of spring is March 21st, how about providing some cut grass, scissors, yellow playdough, paper daffodil petals & trumpet cones - this activity doesn't immediately support taste, so maybe adding information on who does eat grass and how we don't - or donkeys will help children explore risk, or maybe growing cress? A pre-grown tub is good for comparrison, projection - seeing what will happen and sandwich making...

Sight - visual presentation of all the focus activity's resources
Smell - wet cress seeds have an aroma of their own.
Hearing - shake the seed packet, talk & discuss
Taste - make sandwiches for tasting : USA's nutritiondata.com cress & RDI information
Learning - how seeds grow/germinate and sprout to become plants, what they need to do this, what colour they are, will be, taste like, smell, feel like and their use ..

Messy play activities are good for sensory exploration.

Hth xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

shamrock19f is on a distinguished road

Hi i am new to all of this so forgive me if i am telling you something you already know or have already done!

For my sensory observation i did a feely box filled with pasta and fruit so the children identified by touch and smell without sight the different fruits, some cut and some whole - to cover hearing we then did a song about fruit Good luck you will be fine!
Unread 03-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

charlotte1001 is on a distinguished road

For mine i did a treasure basket activity filled with shells, stones and starfish and similar natural items. I covered touch by; discussing with the children the different textures- smooth, bumpy, hard etc. I covered hearing by; listening in to the shells to see if we could 'hear the sea'. I covered taste by; talking about the majority of our items were from the seaside and then this led into a discussion about our favourite sea foods. I covered sight by; making a display of them with bright coloured backgrounds, labels and having pictures next to the items so there was 2d and 3d items on our display. I covered smell by; in our treasure basket we have scents bags of like cinnamon and herbs etc and we also smelled some of the shells to see if they smelt of sea smells. This went really well.