Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM
olive_oil

Default Jolly Phonics?

Not sure where I should put this....so ive just put it in here...

We've had a letter from DS preschool explaining a few things....and part of it mentioned that they liked to use the Jolly Phonics method of teaching. Id never heard of it. They are having an open afternoon where we can go in and they will go through it in more detail. BUt i just wondered if anyhone could point me in the right direction in helping DS at home with it?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Kilnsea

i started to use it as a way of doing the initial sounds each week, but was told that preschools shouldnt do phonics. wait til they were at school, we should only be playing rhyming games and different games at this age. Jolly Phonics bits are at ELC shops. I use their cd for our tidy up time music so they can hear the sounds.
Unread 10-03-2007, 06:59 PM
noah

Told same, we have been told to use new letters and sounds from DfES phase one only which is to develop speaking, listening skills as a priority in their own right through stories, songs, rhymes talking drama and generally encouraging language.

Hence no more letter of the week or anything similar, but we do sound out initial letters of words in some areas during stories rhymes etc to encourage listening skills.

We suggest parents read lots and lots of stories and sing rhymes with the children..current thinking is a child should hear 5 stories a day in some form , we read at least one so we encourage parents to read others.

As a parent I would let the preschool do the jolly phonics if that is their choice but would read and interact and encourage language at home. Children need to know a lot of language before phonics has any meaning..they are learning a sound and an action but what do they understand from this?
Unread 10-03-2007, 10:30 PM
cybertwin

we dont do jolly phonics, can be very work sheet based, which we dont also do

agree they need to hear ryhmes stories etc etc, they need to PLAY not sit and learn at preschool,save it for school
Unread 10-03-2007, 10:54 PM
olive_oil

thanks everyone. Im going to ask exactly what they are going to do with them at preschool. I already read alot and do lots of rhymes and singing at home....
Unread 10-05-2007, 03:41 PM
littlesheep

Our preschool use the actions, rhymes and stories during circletime - all week I've had a a a a ants on your arm LOL!

http://www.jollylearning.co.uk/ has more info
Unread 10-06-2007, 09:39 PM
olive_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesheep View Post
Our preschool use the actions, rhymes and stories during circletime - all week I've had a a a a ants on your arm LOL!

http://www.jollylearning.co.uk/ has more info
Thanks elaine!
Unread 10-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Narnia is on a distinguished road

we have cards with the childrens names on, which we use at registration time:we show the first letter of the name, ask what letter it is/pronounce it, and we ask who's name starts with that sound?? Then we clap the number of syllables in the name, eg,Thomas has 2 syllables, so two claps, cameron has three etc....our lead teacher thought this was fantastic when she did a moderation visit this week, good practice.....and as said earlier, she has told us we only need to use phase one of the letters and sounds,so lots of language, games, songs, etc
Unread 10-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Patsy

Have just been shown a copy of ----- The early Years Foundation Stage. ISBN 978-1-84478-886-6. In here is the compulsory method for birth to 5's. Phonics will be taught including by childminders etc. The book is about children and age related not as stepping stones.BUT on page 5 of the same document qoute,-----:Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates: doesn't this contradict things.
have any of you heard about this or seen the book yet. Your comments will be of interest. especially for groups,with main stream,special needs and children whose home language is not English.Also children in the social service net work.
Unread 11-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

DS has started to use Jolly Phonics in the last few weeks. The little rhymes are fantastic, they really give a visual reminder of how to form the letter. They have done m,s,t,d so far (i think). He sits making the sound, 'mmmmmmmmm' and saying the rhyme, eg, 'Maisy, maisy, mountain' to remind him how to write the letter.

He went from hating the idea of being asked to write to wanting a pen and paper continually. The letter D is based on a picture of a dinousaur with a long tail and a neck, they form the shape of the dinosaur as they write the letter.

Sorry, this is a proud Mummy post as DS is so keen to use this method of learning. I've read on other forums about children who have started in reception this year and they are reading simple words already. DS isn't at that stage yet, they seem to be really taking their time but the children are enjoying learning.