Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 11-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Real or Artificial

What Christmas tree would you recommend .. I've always have real ones but the needles from last years (the 'stalk of which is still in the garden ) drove me and the hoover nuts .. :muted: so am seriously considering a change for this year.
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

jelleybabe is on a distinguished road

while we were on holiday over the half-term, we went to a garden center which my children enjoy, and we were looking at their xmas displays, they had one big greenhouse full of different artificial trees, decorated and bare so you could see what they would be like. These trees looked really great, better than the usual artificial ones, they did not just have the usual green or white ones, there was black, blue and my favourite cream. I will say that they were all expensive, but did look worth the money. We were really tempted to buy one, but lack of room in the car made our mind up....... I could have left them a few elves, but then xmas would not be the same. Have since looked on the net and have not found this tree yet, but still looking.
Unread 11-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chloe is on a distinguished road
Trees

Real for me! We have last years tree in the garden which looks really healthy!
Unread 11-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road

Artificial here. Yes, they're quite expensive, but you don't pay that every year do you? There are some lovely specimens out there, but if you're still undecided, get a real one this year, really concentrate on the experience and if you decide that artificial's the way to go, grab one in the sales!:idea: Artificial also means you can have a tree up for longer too!
Unread 11-09-2006, 09:17 AM
cybertwin

artifical here, we used to have a dog so we have always gone this route.
and it save so much hoovering and sore feet!!

also when fridns visit with younger ones it dosent matter so much if they wreckit
wilkinsons and woollies do some really nice cheap ones. after all we will only cover it in decoratins
Unread 11-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

Hi,
growing up we always had a real tree, the smell was what I always loved best, you don't get that with an artificial one! having said that we have always had artificial because my husband doesn't like real trees. Now he has gone I'm really looking forward to having a real tree again, can't wait. Just remind me in the new year when I'm moaning about the amount if hoovering and the kids and dog making a mess with the needles that it was my idea!!!
FARLEYS
Unread 11-15-2006, 09:11 PM

Biggrin

Well, if it's just the smell of a real tree that you really love then try this...Pine Needle Scent Tree Spray!! I'd heard about it, but you try tracking this stuff down!!! So if you're fed up of hoovering up dropped needles or hearing your dog/child/hubby yelp, then maybe this is the answer!!
Unread 11-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator

lol what an excellent idea !! decided to wait for the sales now .. after scaring the wits out of myself wandering around the local DIY store .. how much !!!

So it'll probably be another year of tiptoeing around the front room lol
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-16-2006, 12:59 PM

Biggrin

There's always the option of making your own... (here we go....!!)

Simply acquire an empty carpet tube and cut to height required. Collect as many (clean & unused) toilet brushes as you want for branches and spray green. Bore holes into aforementioned tubing and shove in (technical term) the bog brush handles.....Voila.... one (very strange-looking) Christmas tree!! And a lifetimes supply of loo brushes!!! :rotfl:

If anyone happens to make one - I'd LOVE to see it......before you're carted off by the men in white coats!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Unread 11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

OMG LOL .. what's the best interior design mag I could contact to come look at a loo brush Chrissy tree ?
the cost of ad blockers