Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD

Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People's Services and NVQ Level 4 Children's Care, Learning and Development. COPY and PASTE - search for plagiarism to make sure your work remains individual.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM
mariah

Help SOS can anyone Help with 406 please???

Need some help with 406 K4D847 differentation of the curriculum, what this means and why it is necessary. any help would be great!!!! thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, I'm hoping someone with a little more experience with this can help ..

Looking at differentiality as a whole my thinking is that it's the lengths or differences gone to - backwards and forwards in order to include all - not necessarily to achieve learning goals just to guide and provide access to them ..

Wikipedia has a huge section on it - differentiation & Differentiated instruction

As a visual .. imagine a time line - your aim or objective/physical activity is the central point - if it helps, 'tie it to an age you are most comfortably knowledgable about ..

Have extended activities and aims projecting one way and your inclusive practice stretching the other ..

This page on Navigator's page might be good to see thinking in action ..

Sand Socks - I wanted to develop an activity that was freeflow and engaging - basic, not too resource intensive, imaginative and encompassed some specific learning / use of resource intentions - after some research & planning a game title developed and became the central 'combining 'time line point ..

The differentiation was then in making sure all ages could access the activity and it's learning opportunities ..

Starting point for the activity - Personal experience of a preschool 3 - 4 year old & Plain off the shelf / out of the drawer socks - enabling environment: put into sand ..
Build on and differentiate by
---- > adding spoons and suggestions to 'role play with character socks.
Consider inclusive practice and differentiate by
---- > including tape tubes to ensure the sock openings are as wide as possible for filling.

Build on again to make sure adults enjoy the activity with the Children - that they have the chance to know what learning is available, be part of the activities planning and character / craft development ..

Additional ideas could be to have adult intervention to help guide hands holding spoons of sand or manouvering the sock opening to make sure when the spoon is tipped up the sand lands inside !

Another line of differentiation is in how you apply risk assessment & safeguarding to the learning aim/activity - sand in eyes, spoon & sand catapults clearing it from the floor / hair, socks filled and used as truncheons .. a Child fills and positions the sock characters, begins role play language and asks an adult / child if they can/would be able to move them away to another area and continue play .. this additional differentiation - from the original intentions of the 'time line point can be used to inform planning for the next or continuing time..

You could apply this to any 'point or aim .. how you provide the chance to get there, slip/go back and step forwards again ...

With all that said sorry, 406 - Develop and support children's early learning in partnership with teachers: could include finding out how Teachers you work alongside 'evidence their differentiation in order to provide a 'broad and balanced curriculum'. In partnership can include the ways in which you interact and are able to find out about what's needed, what that involves, the paperwork & record keeping formats used. How you access these - room sheets, daily books, charts - Training, INSET- In service training arrangements.. and how you are able to take part in their ongoing development. Why you would want to and how it supports, allows the children to develop ..

Search engine terms that may help: Differentiation to support learning, wellbeing and learning, P scales - background, information & links from QCA.

Hope this all helps a little

Very interested to hear others thoughts on differentiation ..

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

NIXONOLLIE is on a distinguished road
differentiate

hi i use differentiate in my planning as i have mixed aged groups do i would differentiate the activity so all could be involved but might have to change a little for the smaller aged children ie scissors older ones can cut along a line but differentiate the smaller children may need doubled handled scissors to help cut .
also i would differentiate an activity if i had a child with special needs so all children will have a chance at the activity but you may have to differentiate for some children.
thats how i use it in my pre school hope it makes sense and helps julie